The death toll from a huge 6.9 magnitude earthquake in Indonesia’s Lombok island climbed to more than 320, officials said on Friday, even as relief efforts picked up pace.
The national disaster mitigation agency said it had verified 321 deaths and that over 270,000 people had been forced to flee their homes because of a series of tremors over the past two weeks, Reuters wrote.
On Thursday, the death toll from Sunday’s quake jumped to 259.
A fresh 5.9 magnitude aftershock prompted fresh panic in the north of the popular holiday destination on Thursday. Nearly 75 percent of residential structures have been destroyed in northern Lombok because of poor construction unable to withstand strong tremors, the agency said in a statement.
Death toll from Indonesia quake climbs